Role: design lead
A team of front-end designers, data scientists, storytellers, and designers, made a dynamic program to explore systemic causes of hunger at home in the state of Oregon. The key design feature throughout the experience is the vulnerability rating to food insecurity.
Year after year, Oregon has one of the highest reported rates of food insecurity in the country. At the same time, we have a robust food stamp program and over 900 food relief agencies statewide.
The data is clear, but the reality is hard. What's not working?
Interact with the program to let you know the day-to-day experience of putting food on the table:
- Search by county in Oregon
- Choose a sample household income (single adult, single parent with two children, two parents with two children)
- Select a sample monthly income
- What is the vulnerability status?
- What is the cost of a meal in each county in Oregon?
- How many meals short?
- Estimated snap benefits
- Estimated school meal benefits
- Are able to afford stable housing?
- How would your experience be different if you lived in another county in Oregon?